Sunday, October 3, 2010

Tune in to Discovery

I have been a Christian now for several years. However, it still amazes me, how much God actually wants me to learn about him. Today, I was in church, thinking and praying about how little I actually understand about God. Sometimes I fall into the trap of thinking I have it all figured out. I will throw around terms like grace, mercy, forgiveness actually thinking I understand the depth of which those words originate. However, the truth of the matter is that I am still figuring it out. It was so glorious to understand this concept. It makes me so joyful to know that there are so many more layers to God that I have yet to unwrap.

In church, I started thinking about how vast and wide God's love is for us. He sees past our faults and welcomes us in with open arms. This concept is quite foreign to me really. I mean if I am what the bible says I am, wretched, sinner, broken, bruised, and orphaned, why would a gracious, loving God welcome me with open arms? The concept is novel. Really, if a person has hurt me, the last thing I think of is welcoming them with open arms. Yet, that is what God does for us every day. I guess you have to get to a place where you think you actually need to be welcomed in order to appreciate the truth of these statements. I guess you have to look at your life and your efforts and see the evidence of brokenness in order to desire God. Too many times the glare of the allure of the world fogs our glasses of truth. We hang on to the idea that we are not in need of a God in heaven because we can worship the gods of this earth, this creation. Yet, seated on a throne in heaven, is a God that does not turn his back.

The more and more I get to know God, the more I like him. Although I haven't it all figured out, what a joy it is to discover and rediscover new things about him every day. I am thankful I can see my need to be welcomed by him. I am thankful I have a choice to walk with him or to turn away and his love never for me will change.

No comments:

Post a Comment