Thursday, April 7, 2011

God as CEO

Today, I was reading Luke 19: 11-27, The Parable of the Ten Minas. The main purpose of this parable is emphasizing the importance of being a good steward of what God has given us most notably in the realm of business. This passage encourages us that God actually cares about how we conduct business and finds the business world useful for glorifying his purpose.

In this passage, it is demonstrated that there are three classes of how people conduct business on earth. There is the first servant who multiplies what God has given him and then he is given more to be in charge of at that same ratio as what he earned. What I find interesting is the response the servant has. He states, "Lord your mina has made ten minas more." He does not state, "Lord, look how business-minded I am, I made you more. This servant sees the mina as his Lord's, not his own. The same is true with the second servant. And, he is of no less value than the first and also is given the equivalent of what he has earned. The third servant is where I think most of those in business actually find themselves. He says, "I have kept your mina hid away on a handkerchief but I was afraid of you because you are strict."

How often do you find yourself keeping what God has given you tucked away or out in plain view for everyone to see.Too often, we believe that we have to write our own way in this world. We see business as a ladder to climb to the top or we see it as a means to end to pay our bills. God wants us to do well with his things on earth and give him the credit. This is not so that we may say, look how much of a powerful player in this world I am. No, rather he wants us to see what he has given us as belonging to him for his credit. Our talents, money, and power belong to him. We are in charge of what he has given while he is away. Please do not squander this responsibility or feel that you have some special skills that are not from God.

We are meant to conduct business and go about our affairs with grace and dignity. We must ask ourselves, are we hiding away our spoils, or parading around waiting for affirmation. Think about how you treat your co-workers, supervisors, etc. Do we sit and waste time thinking we could do a better job? Do we sit and analyze their every move? Do we hide what we want to truly say in order to make things run smoothy? Do we boast about how business savy we are? God cares about how we conduct our business. If you are barely getting by at work or sliding right to the top on a slippery slope of itimidation or flattery, I would consider these verses.

We have what belongs to God. We decide if we use it to give it back to him or to return to us. Its your choice, either God as CEO, or you. I bet on God.

No comments:

Post a Comment