Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I'm not perfect and will never be...

I started to think about the difference between working to accomplish a goal and accomplishing the goal with faith that it can be accomplished. What a difference! I noted several of my own personal experiences of recent striving. The outcome has never been what I hoped. My heart, mind, and spirit were all out of joint. There were pains and aches out of the selfishness within me. Yet, then, I began to reflect on the times I let my faith take control and these are among the best moments of my life.

God doesn't tell us not to work for our salvation because he is a strict Father with mysterious rules. No, he knows, that his yoke is easy and when we give up our work to him, we will enjoy the process much more.

For me, I work so hard to be perfect. I want to be the best at everything I do. I spend hours forming aspects of my character, physical body, etc. Yet, this is so off base with God's way. Some would say I am forming excellence which is good and honoring to God. But, I disagree. Any time we are working to influence others or God, we are off base. You see, we will never be perfect. We cannot prevent hurting someone's feelings, or prevent our children from disobeying. No, we cannot always win first place, or even be liked. There is always room for error. There is no best self now in this life.

So, instead of working to obtain whatever it is we seek, we should try handing these burdens over to God. This life is not about us and what we do with it but, rather about God and what he is doing. You know, even if Jesus isn't your God, that working to attain a goal always ends in disappointment. You either fail to meet the goal or you meet it and have to strive to meet another one. You may call this self improvement but, I argue that it leads to dissatifaction.

So, if you are like me, wanting to always do it right, I encourage you to look back on those times you just let life ride. I'm sure you found much mor joy, less judgement of others, and a deeper respect for peace that can only come from God. Give up the work and embrace the faith that it takes to believe you will never be perfect and neither will this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment