I read such encouraging things in the Bible today from Hebrews 4. I was sitting and praying to God when he prompted me to read this chapter. You see, last week, I resigned from my job as a physical therapist. Since, then, people have been asking me, "what are you going to do next?" I sit back and think, "I really do not know. I have no plans." I will tell you, I am not a person without plans. I always have plans. Plans on how to eat right, plans for marathons, plans for life goals, etc. But, I heard this soft voice from God saying, "rest, and stop making plans." And, this was further reinforced by Hebrews.
It is difficult to imagine a life without plans. I am not a person with a million 'to-do' lists. Yet, my brain is always churning on what's next. But, our God is not just a God of what's next. He is God of right now. This passage in Hebrews reminded me that God calls us today to rest in his presence. I firmly believe that is what he wants me to do with the next several months of my gracious life. So, if you think I am crazy for just quitting my job, you are right in worldly terms. Who knows where the next check will come from or if I will have enough for that race I really want to run. But, time with God is so much more important to me.
Do you ever feel like you are constantly looking for the next thing in your life? I propose to you that it is likely that you are doing this because you do not know how to rest with God. Sure, he may not say anything to you at first, but I guarantee that if you give him half a minute he will bring you peace and joy. I am not saying you need to quit your job, although you may want to consider it, but I am saying that there are seasons of work and seasons of rest in life. If you are all work and no rest, you will end up in a place that is empty and lonely.
So, I have no plans. No plans for a family, for a PR in a marathon, a five year career plan, or even plans for what the day will hold. This is entirely new to me. But, I can sense that I will be better off for it. I am excited to see what a season of rest will bring for me. But, the best part is that I will be looking in the moment and that's about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment