Sunday, November 6, 2011

My Anger Management Problem

Have you ever wanted to sucker punch someone? This question may present itself as somewhat odd on a Christian blog. But, I'm sure you have had the feeling. For me, I have noticed that this tendency arises when I am sitting with a braggart, a prideful fool, a person that will tell you everything about everything they have ever done, and then ask, "how are you?" My mind races, my heart beats fast, my fist starting to curl up into a ball. Then, I hear this tiny voice. Tiny. It is soft and says, "forgive them, for they know not what they do." I sit there arguing for a minute with the voice. But, they are so conceited, they never stop talking, I want to show them what they are really made of. The voice again starts to get louder and says, "love one another."

This battle goes on for me, thankfully not daily, but on a few occasions. I have seen a change in my reaction. When I was young, I didn't hear the voice. I actually think I punched a few people. Yeh, its true. When I started to hear the voice, I ignored it, and gave my too much needed cents. Usually, this resulted in a loss of friendship or a really awkward situation. However, recently, I have noted that when I have the urge to punch, the voice is so much louder than it has been in the past. And not only can I hear the voice, but I can see the face of the person changing. I can see their hurt, their abandonment, their need to be noticed. I'm still not at the point where I can say anything to encourage them. But, I can feel my hands uncurl, my heart go soft, and actually, begin to listen behind their words.

I hear a voice. But, I'm not schizophrenic. I'm sure of it. This voice is the one of the Holy Spirit. The third part of God. Don't ask me to explain the Trinity because I have no clue how it works and I don't think we are supposed to get it. But, this part of God helps you. The voice of the Holy Spirit helps to transform the person you once were into the person you are to become. It is a relief when you hear this voice. You can guarantee that your reaction to circumstances will be much more favorable than if you didn't hear the voice. We can thank God for the Holy Spirit because this voice is the one that helps you to love and forgive without your own effort.

Today, I am thankful to report that I haven't punched anyone is several years. My anger management class has taken up shop with the Holy Spirit and I am far from graduation but, closer to success than before. The Holy Spirit helps us to function in this life out of love. We can be thankful when we love from a genuine heart because we know it is the Holy Spirit's work.

You all want to sucker punch people. You all want to get the best for yourself. You want it your way or the highway. It is when you recognize this that you are evoking the Holy Spirit's presence in your life. Recognizing that you cannot love without the help of the third party of God is the first step to growing closer to God. The Holy Spirit is what helps us control our human desires and wants and puts us back in place in line with Jesus. We do not need to perfect. We do not need to pretend we love everyone. We don't. But, God does, and he will help us with the Holy Spirit to love those we find unloveable. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment