Wednesday, April 20, 2011

What's with the running craze?

What's with the running craze in America these days? I think a lot of it has to do with Facebook. People put up pictures of themselves completing races, other people get motivated to start running, injure themselves and then end up to see me in PT. If you are reading this thinking, I should sign up for a race, a long distance race. Think about it. Why do you really want to do it? Is it to feel better about yourself? Is it so that people will think, man, she is super fit? Because I will tell you, when you are trying to breath at mile 23 and your legs feel like they have been shot, with a gun, you better dang well have a good reason for signing up. I have been struggling to write this post actually for some time. I have read too many blogs, listened to too many conversations, and even had people lie to me about their running. I actually quit Facebook because there was running overload. But, like everything, God teaches me things in my frustration.

I started running seriously in 2006. My reason, I wanted my new husband and I become healthy. Chris and I would wake up at 5 am every morning and head to our gym and start jogging. There was no goal other than to become healthy. We did this for about a year. I decided to test my fitness and signed up for a 5k. My first 5k was 23:49. It was clear that running was something I could actually be good at. Then, for the next 2 years, I trained myself to get better. I began winning awards and running really well. This got to my head and I actually thought I was a good runner when I could run 7 minute miles (ha what did the guy run yesterday 4:40s for 26.2 miles!). I told my mother I was going to be able to complete the Boston Marathon someday. She laughed. Then, she passed away in 2009.

In 2010, running became more than awards. Running became more than a pat on the back and something to post on Facebook. Running became something I did to deal with my grief. I belong to a church and it is supportive. However, when my mother died, it seemed like everyone disappeared and no one wanted to help me work through what just happened. People sent letters, cards. But, not one person asked as the months passed, how are you doing? And, if you are in my church, please do not take offense. I understand that when people are going through a death it can be hard to ask the right questions. But, I do encourage you to push through what you may think is awkwardness, because it could help someone heal. Because of my struggle, I began to run longer and harder to deal with my frustration, anger, and feelings of loneliness. I found Jesus when I ran. I heard his voice tell me to keep going, to push through the pain, run harder, run faster, get through the agony.

In May 2010, I wanted to train for a marathon, not actually to run one, but to run the miles to work on my heart and soul. I found a group of people that ran every Saturday and I joined them. I ran hard every Saturday throughout the summer of 2010 and realized I could actually complete a marathon. So, I signed up. I began to think maybe I can make good on the promise I made to my mom. My running friends watched me develop and because of all the stuff I was dealing with I could run long and at a good pace. My training log displays that qualifying for Boston actually was a possibility. The only reason I wanted to qualify for Boston was to get there. In October 2010, I ran what is supposed to be the "easiest" marathon to qualify at and I failed. In December, I tried again. I failed again. But, I had a small voice from the Holy Spirit telling me that I will make it into the 2011 Boston Marathon. A joke because it sold out in 1 day. I even tried to get a charity number and it failed. I kept running. Running now with frustration over why I couldn't make in happen on marathon day. In March of 2011, I got word that I could have a number for the Boston marathon. Unheard of! Of course, I signed up. Yet, now I had been training with my sister-in-law and felt sad that she would not be able to run with me. Running with her is a side bar. She always wanted to qualify for Boston. She tried like me and was unsuccessful. I knew this and wanted to start running with her to change the way we both thought about running. I wanted us to run to develop our relationship. And, we did. Running many races together, the best races of my life, to get to marathon day and be successful. So, when I heard that I was in and she was out, I was full of sadness. Yet, two days before the 2011 Boston Marathon, I was able to get her a number! And, yes, we ran the 2011 Boston Marathon together.

You would think this is where my running story would end but it does not. We got into the most prestigious race by an act of God. We even had VIP passes to enjoy a stress free start. Yet, when started running and I did not have it, mostly because we were dodging runners for the first 7 miles of the race. I struggled the entire race. We even stopped to pray for the Holy Spirit to help me because I was in pain, could barely run or breath. But, because I love running more than the time on the clock, I kept going.

You see, I know why there is a running craze. People think that through running they will experience joy. There will be accomplishments and medals to tote around. There is approval when someone knows you just ran a race, and even more when its a marathon. But, I tell you friends, its not the race day that gives the glory. Its in the hours of pounding the pavement when you pray for God to heal your broken heart, or change the ways of your enemy, or allow some way for you and your sister to get into the Boston Marathon.

I love to run because it connects my heart to Jesus. When I run for my own glory, I get a bad day. When I run to develop my relationship with God and his people, I get to see his glory. Please do not fall into believing that you will be called awesome if you run a marathon with a sub 4 hour time. Please value God more than that. When you wake up the day after the Boston Marathon, nothing has changed unless your heart is connected with the God above. Sure, I have a medal, but today when my feet hit the pavement, I cried, because I love that for 45 minutes, I met with Jesus and he consoled my broken heart. 4:03 in the Boston Marathon seemed like an epic failure yesterday and today it is a glorious Hallelujah because I ran the race set out for me despite the trials and tribulations. Next time I enter a marathon, I know it will not be a failure because God gets the glory and I get to sit back and watch.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for an honest reminder about value and worth in God's eyes....and for your honesty about losing your mom. I lost my godmother last year and it's been hard to know how to love and care for my god-siblings through not just their grief but my own. Good seeing you last month and Congrats on the race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meredith,
    Thank you for your comment. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. There is a place in your heart that will never be the same. Yet, thank God for Jesus because he comforts us even when those around us know not what to do! I loved seeing you as well. Hopefully, we can do that again soon.

    ReplyDelete