Thursday, October 13, 2011
Crazy Love? Or Crazy?
I've been reading this book Crazy Love, by Francis Chan. We were introduced to it at the church we are going to and have a book study on it tonight. I enjoy it. Some of the chapters include, "stop praying, and "forget about God's will for your life." When I first started reading it, I thought, wow this guy is saying what I have been thinking about the American church for the past year. But, then, as I explored my heart more, I realized that God was convicting me and hopefully Mr. Chan, of too much criticizing. You see, as I was reading, I realized what good is it if we just get in one camp or the other. What good is it if we gang up on all the people that aren't loving God purely, aren't being genuine about their faith, etc. Isn't that the same as a Pharisee. In no way am I against his book, I actually really like it! But, it made me think about my attitude and what I say about church. You see, most people that are going to church genuinely want to know God. Sure, they may be checking a box when they go, or may think it brings them special powers for the week, but they go! And, when we go to meet God at church, that means he can work on us! And, I rejoice for that! So, I guess the point I'm trying to make in all of this is that yes, the American church as flaws. Yes, we are not living with God in mind all the time, but that is why Jesus dying on a cross and being so gracious too us is all that more powerful. If we spend time judging others on if they are lukewarm, we miss the point. At any given moment, we forget about God. It is our nature. We cannot will it to be better. We cannot force ourselves to love God more. Its just not biblical. So, if we get up on a soap box, which I am guilty of doing many times, and blame others for their lack of fervor, we are committing an injustice towards our brothers and sisters. Instead of telling people to love God more passionately, shouldn't we show them? And, that is where I conclude. Neither Francis Chan, or the lukewarm Christians have it right. I sure as heck don't. But, the reality is that we have to prayerfully ask God for more love in our hearts to actually show others what it looks like. Maybe this is the point of Crazy Love. But, the reality is the less talking and more doing, I think the better off we will be. And, with that said, I'm done writing ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment