I can get discouraged over lots of things. This weekend we had a bug in our house. And, when I say bug, I mean think Alien. Nasty stuff. Funny, though, I actually never saw it. Because again, my husband, is amazing. He trapped it and expelled it from our house. But, let me tell you, that discouraged me. I love my kitchen. It is the place I love to be. There is a fresh breeze that blows in from the window. You can look out and see the sun setting. It is an amazing place. And, in one instant, I let discouragement take hold of me. We have traps, we have this really neat insect mist that sprays every minute. It will be ok. But, do you think I have made my way into the kitchen. No. And, for that I am repentant.
Discouragement comes in many forms. It can be the voice inside your head that tells you that you failed at a task, that tells you things won't work out the way they should. Discouragement can look like depression. It can look like the joy has been sucked right out of you. But, you do not have to be a slave to discouragement. You see, Jesus came and wiped away our slavery. We can now embrace the fact that Jesus died on a cross, with people screaming insults, beaten and bruised, and did not give in to discouragement. I'm swallowing that. Jesus suffocated to death and was not discouraged. And, why? Because he had in mind God's plan. God's plan for love for all people, that includes you and me, and your neighbor, and people here in Singapore, and in New Hampshire, and Boston, all around the world.
When we fix our eyes on what Jesus did on the cross, how can we be discouraged? I think the best way to remain encouraged is to read the Bible daily. Not in a "have to" way but in a I really need to way. Whenever I read the Bible, I walk away encouraged. So, when I feel discouraged, I often think, hmm, must not have read my Bible enough. God's promises in the Bible remind us that he is always with us, he loves us, he has good plans, he is a great, mighty, victorious God that never fails. A pity party, I think not.
Let us rejoice. Rejoice in the Lord always. For today, is all we have. Discouragement has no place in our hearts, in our minds, and in our souls. No matter our circumstance, God is bigger. No matter that state of our hearts, God is bigger than our hearts. So, if you are anything like me, and find yourself easily discouraged, sit and try and listen to God. Read his words in the Bible and find out the truth. He has set us free. We no longer have to believe lies and find yourself tempted to think the world has better things to offer us when it comes to comfort, security and affirmation. We can be encouraged today knowing that God sustains us always and in all things.
Rejoice in the Lord always, AGAIN, I say, REJOICE! Philippians 4:4
No comments:
Post a Comment