Today, I was realizing that I am like the queen of goal setting. Now, this is not something to brag about. Rather, goal setting actually be a hinderance to the enjoyment of life! I had to go for a 13 mile run today. At this point, Chris would say, "you had to?? Was someone holding you at gunpoint while you ran?" No, although, I thought about thinking that in order to make me run faster...;) But, basically, I needed to run today, because this weekend I will be in Florida, and as exciting as 13 miles in the humid sauna that is my father's home, I didn't think that would be the best idea. Anyway, I set a goal for the time I wanted to finish my run today 1:40 minutes. Now, when you run 13 miles in 1:40 minutes, there is very little time to notice the way the sky is changing color, or the way the wind is blowing softly over the water. No, when you run 13 miles in 1:40 minutes, you are thinking, man a hot shower would be nice right now! There is little time to enjoy the experience.
This attitude often carries over into my life. I am so set on a goal at times, I miss out on all the in between stuff that is going on around me. I tend to be so goal focused that when something is out of the ordinary plan, I become a frazzled little mess...or as they call it...a hot mess! Today's run really challenged me to think outside my goals. Sure, its fun to have goals, to be a driven person. But, I don't want to miss out on the blessings that are in front of me. I need to slow down, look around, and be thankful for what's around me. So, I say thanks to God that I am a goal oriented person. It has helped me get to so many awesome places and experience really amazing things. But, there are times, I have to step away from my goals, and take a deep breath to see what's right in front of me.
No comments:
Post a Comment